Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:18:12

I am inclined to think that the wheel leg fairings  on the
> TG are  really only cosmetic in value - however this  is
> considerable and does away  to a large extent with  the
> rather 'spindly' appearance. - which has been   adversely
> commented on by friends with other  earoplanes.

> Patrick

I would be inclined to not bet on  that.  Hoerner's big old book is a
quick reference here.  An  angled, round gear leg has a drag coefficient
around .85, as an  effective elliptical shape.  A streamline shape in the
form of a  fairing surrounding the leg is .35.  So with similar frontal
area,  that's a significant.drag reduction.

Fred  F.

Fred,

Well, I have not read the book and my aerodynamic knowledge is basic  (like I
know how an a/c flies!)  But your words are encouraging and  one day I will
find out, mods, renovation and weather permitting!

Thanks ,    Patrick