Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 12:41:42

> I am inclined to think that the wheel leg fairings on the
> TG are  really only cosmetic in value - however this is
> considerable and does away  to a large extent with the
> rather 'spindly' appearance. - which has been  adversely
> commented on by friends with other earoplanes.

> Patrick

I would be inclined to not bet on that.  Hoerner's big old book is a
quick reference here.  An angled, round gear leg has a drag coefficient
around .85, as an effective elliptical shape.  A streamline shape in the
form of a fairing surrounding the leg is .35.  So with similar frontal
area, that's a significant.drag reduction.

Fred F.