Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Drag Reduction
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 11:21:59

>...and am  modifying the...a decent airflow in the area
> of the ugly join between  the leg fairngs and the wheel spats.
>
> The minor tiny mod merely attaches a small half circle of
> surplus  wheel fairing material, about 15mm tall, fixed to
> conceal the gap at the  bottom of the leg fairing.
>
> Patrick

A definitive answer is either a) better; b) worse, or c) no change.  :-)
It actually may be possible that interference drag is increased, if you
have a gear leg fairing.  What I did is make an aerodynamic "spat" which
seals everything and mitigates interference drag.  Latter BTW is the
effect of, especially with an acute angle of the gear leg, airflows of
different velocities mixing and going turbulent at the junction.

The "spat" the airframe manufacturers design here is probably by eye.
It's so commonly that they may just assume the effect is, net,
"proverse."

Reg,
Fred F.