Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:21:06

I think both sides are becoming a bit emotional on the subject.

My own experience dictated that I build a tri-gear.  I bought my kit, as
a mono, from a guy who had purchased it 4 years prior and never started
it.  Lucky me as the price was right. Before buying, however, I flew a
mono, with John Hurst, in Lakeland.  In the air it was pure art.  On the
ground, on pavement, it just plane sucked.  Had nothing to so with
landing or take-offs.  It just handled terribly on the pavement.
Incidently, John had the same impression.  Now, because most of my
flying was to be from paved runways, it was a no brainer for me.  "But
Jeff", you say, "you're based at a grass strip".  True, however that
came about after the build was finished and, besides, that strip serves
three puropses;  first takeoff, last landing and storage.  Like I said,
most of my flying is from paved strips and it is.  I realize that the
mono, with its larger wheel, is better suited for rough terrain, but the
tri-gear, even with a speed kit, does just fine on less that smooth
grass surfaces.  Add to that, the less complex mechanism and that sewed
it up, for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not bashing the mono.  It is a
beautiful bird and a bit faster, than its "small wheel up front" sister,
though not enough to make any real difference to me.  I believe the
problem, here is, "defence of your own".  We're all guilty of it.  Fact
is, though, whether you fly a mono or a trike, you have one of the
finest homebuilts in the sky.  It is one of the most unique aircraft
that I've seen, anywhere.  Attending as many fly-ins as I do, "Baby
Blue" has been the talk of them all.  Oh, and BTW, at every gathering
she's attended, she's been dubbed "sexy".  ;)

So, guys, argue til you're blue in the face.  Fact remains, the Europa,
in any flavor, is fun, economical and shear joy to fly.  So stop beating
your chests and go enjoy your birds... ;)

Jeff - N55XS
109 hours and grinning more, every day...