Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: GLENN CROWDER <gcrowder2@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:50:33

  I remain completely baffled as to why so many Europa pilots have chosen
the
trigear over the mono when given a choice.  The mono is lighter, faster and
much safer to land on a rough field.  I feel like I could get the mono down
just
about anywhere if the little whirly thing stops.
  I got in 6 circuits around the field last nite and every landing was a
yawner.
Just get into ground effect, slowly bring the stick back till it hits the
stop and
hold it.  "Thunk" down, nice straight roll out, bring in the power, lift the
tail an
inch and do it again.  I make no claim to any piloting skill, I was just a
FBO 172
rental scum before the Europa.  In a light crosswind all you have to do is
put
in a little rudder.  Sure if it gets nasty you have to go to work, but you
have
to in any plane.  I love the mono!

                                            Glenn