Re: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:45:16

Chris,
            The main impression you want to take with you is that a tri-gear
can be landed at any speed below that which touches nosewheel first - so you
can slide in a few knots fast and nail the main gear then lower the
nosewheel. That's what the 'big guys' do. It gives them latitude and
flexibility. This is mainly true also for the conventional tailwheel types
(with some reservations).
BUT the answer to the monwheel Europa is that it should be landed on the
stall, so that the she's not flying when you touch. Thus the tailwheel (if
not first) is prompted to earth quickly in order to transfer directional
control from the limpid rudder.

---> Good points, Ferg.  It's really an issue of directional control with the
fairly
weak rudder on the Europa, then (Along with limited prop clearance for 'oops'
wheel landings)?

Interesting, as my tailwheel training centered around making 3-point landings
for
'good' conditions, but wheel landings for crosswinds and/or gusty days due
to the added control you have over the airplane.  Sounds like the monowheel
doesn't
give you that option.

Well, I suppose until I'm actually flying ours, it's all just so much
discussion.
It will be interesting to be able to compare flying the 140 to the Europa.

Chris