Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]

Subject: Re: Europa-List: wheel landings [was: Flying a heavy Europa XS?]
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:28:22

Chris,
            The main impression you want to take with you is that a tri-gear
can be landed at any speed below that which touches nosewheel first - so you
can slide in a few knots fast and nail the main gear then lower the
nosewheel. That's what the 'big guys' do. It gives them latitude and
flexibility. This is mainly true also for the conventional tailwheel types
(with some reservations).
BUT the answer to the monwheel Europa is that it should be landed on the
stall, so that the she's not flying when you touch. Thus the tailwheel (if
not first) is prompted to earth quickly in order to transfer directional
control from the limpid rudder.
            Crosswinds are, yes, trickier. Fore the first two types
(kiddycar and conventional) the trick is to fly in, dip the upwind wheel
onto the tarmac and rudder the aircraft straight before the rest of the main
gear takes the weight. All this happens in a short time with a heavy machine
because of inertia. Again that's what the 'big guys' do. Slight misjudgement
as to height makes a jolt but little else. BUT on a monowheel, you are like
a Tiger moth - feather in the wind - susceptible to every whim and fancy of
a gust. The difference in the Europa is the wonderful pitch control the
stabilator gives you. The real answer is to practice landing into a steady
wind and mark yourself on the accuracy of your estimate of the touchdown
instant. When you can say "now" as the mainwheel touches, five times in a
row, you are ready for crosswinds, and later gusts. The entire exercise is
based on your knowledge of the impending stall and that takes practice. You
don't want to be untrained in that before you try crosswind approaches and
landings. Be prepared to go around the instant you are unsure of the
touchdown - hand on throttle and stick. Having instructed on Harvards and
Otters, I can bet Tony K and Nigel will agree with me. The best place to
stall any aircraft is one inch off the surface. When you can do that, you
are master.
Flames invited.
Ferg