Re: Europa-List: Non-certificated engines & night ops

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Non-certificated engines & night ops
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:37:03

Fred, I don't know where sport pilot got the info, though I could
probably look it up, however my phase II limitations state that my bird
may not be flown at night, unless equipped with proper lighting, which
it has.  The FAA inspector (not a DAR), when questioned about night
flying, said that my bird had proper lighting, thus could be flown at
night.  BTW, it has an uncertified Rotax on the nose.  Limitations went
on to state that the bird must be flown VFR only, unless it had the
minimum required IFR equipment installed.  In other words, if I install
IFR gear, I can fly IFR (given I attain my instrument rating).  There
are a lot of myths and misconceptions floating around, but I've found
that most FAA folks are pretty reasonable in their thinking.  The folks
around here are anyway.  If there is any question about night or day,
IFR/VFR, I'll just show them my AW certificate and phase II limitations...

Now, get that bird finished and get it in the air... <G>

Jeff - N55XS
109 hrs