Europa-List: Non-certificated engines & night ops

Subject: Europa-List: Non-certificated engines & night ops
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:44:44

All USA builders/flyers,

Some of you may recall my postings regarding the wingtip lite covers
I've made and my interest in the CAM 125 Honda-based engine with which
Alex Bowman is flying; I'm also, of course, considering a Rotax
installation. As a consequence, I've been trying to educate myself on
any issues regarding night flying here in the USA with non-certificated
engines and the necessary inspections and sign-offs. In this process,
I've learned a few things which have, in turn, raised some questions to
which I hope some of you may have answers.

I've quoted from various sources and provided the URL source in
parentheses...my questions are at the end of my email.

"Rotax's operating instructions prohibit the use of a Rotax engine at
night or in IFR conditions unless it is the FAA type-certificated
engine; that is, certificated to FAR Part 33. Rotax's non-certificated
engines are indicated by the letters "UL" after the engine series
number; for example, 912UL, 912ULS, and 914UL."
                (http://www.sportpilot.org/news/051013_ifr.html)

"Rotax engines supplied for the Europa are 4 stroke, geared, liquid/air
cooled, 4 cylinder horizontally opposed engines. As engines supplied
for homebuilt aircraft, they are non-certificated.

Rotax 912 UL -=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 80 bhp
@ 5800 engine rpm - normally
aspirated=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
=A38,100.84
Rotax 912 ULS -=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 100 bhp @ 5800 engine rpm
- normally
aspirated=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0
=A38,940.84
Rotax 914 UL -       115 bhp@ 5800 engine rpm -
turbocharged.=A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A313345.84

"The engines as supplied by Europa will be complete with:
        Rotax ring mount , Prop flange collar nuts , Slipper clutch (to
protect the engine in case of prop strike) , Stainless steel         exhaust
system (914 UL only) , Vacuum pump drive , Air guide hood (912 ULS
only) , Regulator/rectifier , Overflow         bottle"
                (http://www.europa-aircraft.co.uk/)

"Normal Operation of Your Amateur-Built Aircraft
Once again, all of the general operating rules under FAR Part 91 apply
to daily operations of your aircraft. In addition, the operating
limitations presented under FAR 91.319 and as issued by the FAA
Inspector at the time of inspection govern."
                (http://www.sportair.com/articles/
Rules%20&%20Regulations%20of%20Airplane%20Building.html)

"Upon satisfactory completion of the inspection you will be issued
three documents: (1) the airworthiness certificate, (2) Phase I
operating limitations, and (3) Phase II operating limitations. The
inspector is also authorized to issue further restrictions under FAR
91.319 (e) if necessary. An appropriate logbook entry will also be made
in the airframe logbook. Occasionally, the inspector will issue only
Phase I operating limitations. These limitations only apply to the test
flying phase and they have a limited duration of one year. You may not
fly your airplane under Phase I after you have completed the required
flight test hours or after one year unless you have approval from the
FAA. Another inspection is often necessary. Phase II operating
limitations apply to the operation of the aircraft after the required
test flying and exist for the life of the aircraft. Usually, the
inspector will issue both Phase I and Phase II at the time of
inspection. To legally fly your airplane under Phase II after it has
been test flown, you must make the following entry in the aircraft
logbook: "I certify that the prescribed flight test hours have been
completed and this aircraft is controllable throughout its range of
speeds and throughout all maneuvers to be executed, has no hazardous
operating characteristics or design features, and is safe for
operation." The number of flight test hours is 25 when a type
certificate (FAA approved) engine/propeller combination is installed or
40 hours when a non-certificate engine and/or propeller is installed."
                (http://exp-aircraft.com/library/alexande/begin.html)

Questions:

1. In practice, with 912ULS and 914UL installations, are inspectors
issuing Phase II operating limitations which preclude night operations,
?

2. Are USA builders/flyers buying the Rotax from Europa (in order to
get the listed ancillaries in one box) and just finessing the
distinction between the "UL" and the certificated versions?...assuming
its wise to attempt to do so w/ your inspector.

3. Does the "40 hours when a non-certificate engine and/or propeller in
installed" during Phase I trump Rotax's own operating limitations which
prohibit night ops with the "UL" engines?

4. Does anyone know the approx. price difference between the "UL" and
the certificated version of the Rotax 912?

5. Is the distinction between the "UL" and certificated 912/914 one of
those "elephants in the living room which no one wants to bring
attention to?

Any answers would be much appreciated and (perhaps) reassuring!..thanks,

Fred
A194