Europa-List: Throttle Cables.

Subject: Europa-List: Throttle Cables.
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:27:19

Patrick,
Regarding the throttle cables.  Remove and throw away the inner cable and
replace
it with a solid Bowden cable/wire from ACS part number 05-15500.  It comes
with a metal casing that you will not need so discard it.    You will need to
form the end of the cable over an AN111 Cable Bushing and Redux in place.  This
will be attached to the standard Europa throttle lever. The open end attaches
to the Rotax engine as per the manual.
As an engineer I could never understand why Europa used a cable for the throttle
linkage.  Cables are designed for tension not compression.  It is quite easy
to kink a cable when using it in compression.  The solid wire Bowden cable is
designed for compressive loads.  Also using the Bowden cables will over come
and 'stiction' and there is virtually no play in the throttle linkage.  Good
luck

Erich Trombley
N28ET Classic Mono 914
Patrick wrote

"Having just fitted two new (massively expensive) throttle cables to  cure the

apparent problem of 'stiction', I find that nothing has changed,

Despite being meticulously careful in the fitting (no kinks etc) and
following the build manual instructions, I cannot find a way to get the
throttle

cables to operate properly i.e. the throttle will not open when  the lever is
moved forward as the throttle lever spring does not overcome  the friction
between inner and outer.

Any suggestions for a solution (stronger springs, oil??) would be  welcomed.

Patrick"