Re: Europa-List: Autopilots

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Autopilots
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 22:28:34

<<My thoughts on the Autopilot .......it seems to offer a bucket load more
features than the Trutrak or Navaids >>

I think that one of the benefits of Trutrak's Digitrak is its beguiling
simplicity (its a sophisticated bit of kit that is very easy and intuitive
to use) and I'm not convinced that all the additional features of the Trio
are actually needed. But then I've no experience of the latter and can never
remember easily how to programme a VCR, although I admit that the Trio has
more of a draw in marketing terms.

As regards the Navaid, it's first-generation and now looks dated alongside
the Digitrak; the dynamics in particular (e.g. in turbulence) bear no
comparison.

As regards <<should interface to almost any GPS >>, I've found that they
don't.
Whilst most GPS sets have NMEA output, the NMEA protocol allows data
elements to be omitted (so long as the separation commas in the data
sentence are left in place). This often means that all the data needed by
the autopilot is not present and the thing won't work. I've found that early
versions of the Garmin GPS Pilot III and many non-aviation handhelds have
this problem. Garmin's older 195 (a larger version of the Pilot III) works
OK as do Skymaps. Otherwise its best to get a written assurance from the AP
manufacturer that their product will work with "x" brand of GPS; unless you
like the challenge of endless snagging.

Another "con" is the update frequency. Whilst many GPS sets update
internally at 1 second intervals, the data output is more often at 3 second
intervals, which can be a bit slow for effective AP operation in some
circumstances, especially around waypoint turns.

Duncan McF.