Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:47:38

Duncan,

You wrote:

> Answer to Fred's questions:
> <<What is the weight of this puppy?>>
>
> Material on the web site says installed weight of 11lbs more than a 912S.
>
> <<What is the source of the increase in power from 82 to 102 hp?>>
>
> Easy; turn up the boost (until it goes 'pop')!
>
> Duncan McF.

...a few thoughts from my armchair...

It strikes me that "turn(ing) up the boost" is akin to starting with the 912
@ 80 hp and either, increasing the compression to bump the hp up to 100 (the
912S), or adding the turbo and bumping the hp up to 115 w/ the 914. In
either case, in varying ways, stresses are increased...not to the extent
that the engine "goes 'pop'!" since there is no history (that I'm aware of)
of the Rotax experiencing failure of its basic components. However, the
record appears to show failures of accessories (e.g., clutch, starter),
exhaust system and wiring which are logically attributed to the increase in
power beyond that of the original 80 hp engine.

What's amazing to me about the Smart engine is that it's sucking 102 hp out
of 700 cc's...and I can't help but wonder if it's "smart" to use it in our
unforgiving aerial environment. (?) Course if it's 11 lbs. heavier than the
912S, it could be quite a robust little puppy.

Fred
A194