Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 12:59:26

<fklein@orcasonline.com>

> However, the record appears to show failures of
> accessories (e.g., clutch, starter), exhaust system and
> wiring which are logically attributed to the increase in
> power beyond that of the original 80 hp engine.

What record?  If you're referring to anecdotal reports on small email
lists, then you can't, IMO, compare that to the fact there apparently
are no such anecdotal reports from a much smaller user base of a given
nonaircraft engine.  It may be a good engine, but more objective data
for the Rotax is obtainable from FAA and NTSB, and the implied service
record there is excellent.  Also, Rotax Service Bulletins I feel are
another reference point as to actual service history Rotax believes is
significant.

NTSB data also shows that, for automotive engines as a whole, the
accident data where engine failure is a factor is the worst of all.
Second to that are, not Rotax 4-strokes, but Lycomings, where I
rationalize that builders will tend use ones of questionable
maintenance "provenance," or overhaul them by themselves.

Reg,
Fred F.