Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Firewall choice and Rotax Engine order options
From: Michael Grass <M.Grass@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:53:46

A happy new year and a thank you to all who have a  replied to my questions.

It for sure did not made my decision much easier but I still will likely to
go with the 914 engine. At present, I can not come up with an economical or
logical rather an emotional decision.
Logical would be to buy an aircraft
Economical would mean to rent an aircraft.
Emotional means to put in the smoothest engine with the most power and
altitude capabilities I can afford.

BTW, for all those who feel the need to go with an automotive engine, there
is a German engineer working on an conversion engine from the European SMART
car. This engine is a turbocharged and fuel injected 82 hp diesel engine
with only 11 lbs more weight then the 912 (without the S) but has much
better torque / rpm characteristics. http://www.ecofly.de/ According to the
German flier magazine "Aerokurier 9/2004" this guy is currently working on a
100 HP version and has plans to install it in to a Europa. Maybe Bruno, the
Europa distributor in Germany could shine a bit more light on this one.

Graham,
Yes, Jim Price is my tech councilor and also looked after Thomas Scherer's
bird. He is a very knowledgeable mechanical and electrical engineer and is
with me on my wishful dream to go with the lower compression engine. Also I
am very interested in the Kremen CS prop. Fortunately I still can wait with
the decision of the prop but think that I should order the FWF kit very
soon.

Michael Grass
A266 Trigear, Detroit Mi