RE: Europa-List: Can one person maneuver the wings in the shop?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Can one person maneuver the wings in the shop?
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:15:36

Andrew:

I wound up suspending my wings from the ceiling.  I took 2 pieces of 2 X 4
for each wing and covered each in carpet.  They were each slightly longer
than the widest chord of the wing.  Large screw eyes were at the top
surface of  each end.  Holes were put in the drywall ceiling of the garage
by the ceiling studs at the spacing of the screw eyes.  Hardware store
chain was attached to the studs at screw eyes and hung down through the
holes in the ceiling.  Spring loaded hook closures were then positioned so
that the 2 X 4's were level an at a convenient height.  When installing the
wing only one hook is released and the 2 X 4 swung down.  I was  able to
lift 1 end of the wing with one hand and swing up the board with the other
and secure the  clasp.  Having extra lenght of chain available also allowed
me to hang up the top side of the fuselage up there upside down when the
wings  weren't there.

Steve
A143
Mesa, AZ