Re: Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: What engine for my Europa?
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 07:29:50

on 11/6/04 12:50 PM, Richard Sementilli at rsementi@gmail.com wrote:

> I am down to 3 choices for an engine for my Europa.
> 1. Rotax 912S
> 2. Rotax 914
> 3. Jabiru 3300
>
> I would like to get objective opinions and actual experiences from
> anyone about the pro's and cons of each engine.
> My first choice is the 914 because of the all around performance but
> more than the huge price, I am worried about the complexity of the
> engine as it relates to maintenance and overall reliability. I have
> spoken to a few mechanics for Rotax but none of them have any
> experience with the 914 turbo. They all say to keep it simple and go
> with the 912 or the 3300. I agree but I'm willing to stretch that goal
> if  feel that I could handle the burden of its complexity.
> My most probable choice would be the 912S because it seems I can get
> great performance (the same or better than the Jabiru 3300) with
> relative ease of operation and mainenance, lighter weight, and
> comparable price to the Jabiru. I've even found a mechanic that is
> near (2 hours away) to my location. However, to the best of my
> research, it is still a more complicated engine and drive unit than
> the simple low reving Jabiru. It needs pump gas almost always, which
> may not be easy to come by during cross country flights.
> The Jabiru is the least expensive, most simple design, seems easier to
> maintain, and is direct drive. However, it's less proven, heavier and
> I can't find any repair facilities in the NY tristate area.
> Am I missing any other engine possibilities that could be even a better
> choice?

I forward the following at the request of Alex Bowman, amhd@shaw.ca

Fred
A194

Your pros & cons re the available engines for the Europa were beautifully
discribed.  Three years ago, I too, was facing this canundrum.  I discussed
the problem with Keith Wilson while at Europa's home base in Yorkshire 1999,
but he was not helpful.  May I add to your cons re the Jabiru 3300?  It
achieves its 120 HP at an R.P.M. much too high for a propellor to be
efficient.

 My final choice was a CAM 125 (Honda) developed by Firewall Forward,
Sidney, B.C.  On the con side, it is heavy.  As delivered it weighed 247
lbs.  With care 17 ibs. were removed from the engine; this included parts of
the casting pertinent only to automobiles.  A smaller 35 amp alternator was
used.  I believe that the reduction unit could be reduced by 20 lbs. at
least.  A friend who has been most helpful in this conversion has designed a
lighter version of this unit.

   On the pro side:  We have an engine that produces 130 HP; it has VTech;
has the legendary reliability of the Honda engine; great fuel economy and it
uses automobile fuel.

  The deciding factor in the choice of this engine was that it was a four in
line cylinder arrangement.  We were able to move the engine towards the
firewall, between the foot wells.  In other words, the C of G of the CAM 125
is 5.5" closer to the firewall than the C of G of the Rotax 914.  My Europa
carries no lead except the lead in the battery and in the flight control
mass balances.  The battery was moved rearward by approx. 30".

  We designed a cooling system for this engine untilizing two motorcycle
radiators and carefully crafted ducts and exits to reduce drag and still
provide adequate cooling.  To me, this is the most satisfying portion of our
input; this has been very successful, and light.

  My first flight was in May 04.  My only snags were - an intermittant
transponder and friction between the inner aspect of the ailerons and the
flaps, in the clean configuration.  My preliminary performance figures were
derived without the use of a GPS.  Now I have a Garmin 295 and will crunch
real numbers.  An incident on my way to Arlington, Washington in July 04
caught me like a startled fawn.  The throttle linkage fractured while over
the Gulf Islands.  Fortunately we had done "what ifs" in the design phase of
our conversion, and  had spring loaded the throttle butterfly to the full
throttle position.  The nearest airport was 20 miles to the stern.  The
incident happened at 2,500' south east bound.  Before the 180 degree turn
was completed, the indicated airspeed exceeded 200 mph.  The landing was
without incident, but I noted that the propeller (Airmaster) stopped with
the ignition off when the gear and flaps were extended at 90 mph.  My son
was with me, on his first flight, and was quiet, watching things unfold -
but not crumple.

  Our flaw was the design of our throttle linkage - Honda knew better.  We
acquiesed, and replaced the design with Honda's.  The throttle corrections
have been completed, and I'll fly solo until I'm certain all is well.

  In a previous career, I was the senior engineering flight test pilot for
the Royal Canadian Airforce at Canadair Ltd, Cartierville, Quebec.  No
military aircraft that I flew had less snags than my wonderful Europa.

Alex Bowman   amhd@shaw.ca

P.S. in 2002 this engine cost $12,000. US

P.S. An in-flight photo can be seen on the Matronics Photoshare site, posted
Oct. 23, '04,1852656-R1-018-7A.jpg