Re: Europa-List: Wing tanks

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing tanks
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:25:39

With two JAR crew (189 lbs each) and full fuel (105 lbs), I can (in theory,
if not "legally") get 150lbs of baggage into the back of my Europa (which
has an empty weight of  727 lbs). At which point the CG reaches the aft
limit and the all up weight is still only 1360 lbs.

That leaves 105 +150 = 255lbs worth of rear passengers , assuming they can
sit far enough forward (or don't mind facing backwards; far safer!). I could
hang a VP prop on the front to bring the CG further forward.

It's a given that fuel in hte wings would not contribute to a/c allup weight
and would have to be located forward of the spars (currently its at the rear
of the spars); that argument would have to be won first!

Of course, this analysis does not allow for the additional weight of seats,
belts, complex fuel plumbing etc.

Either way, a third seat only should be easy.

Duncan Mcf.