Re: Europa-List: Fuel drain modification?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuel drain modification?
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 15:24:55

> I was looking at the club website for a fuel drain modification.
>
> I wish to check for fuel contamination during preflight inspection.
>
> I know there must be one out there someplace because many have
> installed the drains.
>
> Brian S
> A276 Tri Gear. Texas

---From testing I did on my trigear, I concluded there is no tank drain
arrangement which will remove all hazardous quantities of water in
ground attitude.  The two tank drains I have (which pick up from the
fwd part of each tank saddle) will have psychological value only.
What I did then was fabricate a 9 oz. sump, which attaches to the
outlet of the floor-mounted (old style) selector valve arrangement;
two fuel lines from it feed the 914 fuel pumps.  It has a drain valve
accessible from the bottom of the aircraft.  However, a gascolator of
healthy capacity should accomplish similar results, though not meet
FAA rules for production aircraft, as it's neither a sump nor min. 8
oz. capacity.

Reg,
Fred F.