Re: Europa-List: Done yet?, priming

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Done yet?, priming
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:08:05

Steve,

I used Superfil, Smooth prime and Sikkens base + clear.  It turned out
great.  The only thing I would change is how I approached the wing.  It was
perfect when it went to the painters but when he baked it the underlying
substrate moved and you can see it.  I have since looked at a few XS wings
and they are all the same.  I would try baking the wing and then doing a
final go over with primer.  Any paint shop with an oven could bake it for
you.

It took me the best part of a year to sand and fill, but I estimate 50% of
that time was spent whining about the task and 50% was actually doing it.  I
got on best by applying the Superfil with long flexible spreaders with a
little heat to help it along, and I found spraying on the Smooth prime made
the finish sand go faster.  My 914XS came in at 860 lbs, I think I over did
the filler/primer by about 10 lbs.

Paul