Re: Europa-List: Done yet?, priming

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Done yet?, priming
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:16:03

G-IANI wrote:

>Based on my experience your time estimate of a year is about right.  On the
>subject of paint my advise is do nothing until you have decided on who is
>going to paint the bird and what with.  Then between you, you can decide
>what you do and what the paint shop will do.  This can save a lot of wasted
>effort (and paint).
>
>Ian Rickard  #505 G-IANI XS Trigear
>Permit just received 6 hour Flying so far
>Europa Club Assistant Mods Rep
>e-mail mods@europaclub.org.uk

For those still considering which paint/primer to use, let me share my
experience.  I sanded out and filled the control surfaces for A055 in
the standard manner.  The primer I chose was recommended by my paint
guy, who paints a lot of Corvetts and other "glass" vehicles.  It's an
RM product (German origan, I believe) Called NP80 with a hardner, PA80.
This product flows on very well and does a great job of filling all the
nicks and scratches.  It builds up, fast, and sands easily, leaving a
very slick finish.  Once the surfaces were prepped, he shot them with an
RM two stage, base/clear by the same manufacturer.  Two coats of clear,
then sanded and two more coats, then buffed.  The whole job is only a
few mils thick.  Finish is slick as glass and mirror deep.  Pictures are
on the July page at http://www.N55XS.com  Anyone interested in a durable
finish, deep shine and light weight, may want to consider these products.

I have no connection to RM, other than being a very satisfied customer...

Jeff - A055