Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build

Subject: Re: Europa-List: to build or not to build
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 20:52:55

>thanks to all for the candid advice.  Not one of you has said "go
>ahead and build it

Tom - nobody else can give you permission to spend your time in this
way, it's got to be your own decision.

One of the things that tipped me over when I had some doubts was the
following scenario posed by someone who had no knowledge of
aeroplanes or engineering at all, but knew a lot about people.

If on your deathbed you had convenient time to review your life
decisions, how do you think you would feel about your aeroplane
build/not build choice? Would you be saying
(a) "I know it seemed the sensible idea NOT to build, but I really
wish I'd tried to build an aeroplane after all"
or
(b) "I know I didn't finish it (because I died/got epoxy
allergy/spent too much time with my family) but I'm glad I gave it a
try and risked the experience"

Looking forward now, which of those two would you rather be able to
say? And of course there's the 3rd one we all hope we can quote
instead - "I built it and I can fly around in it"!

If all us builder nuts were making decisions based on cold hard
facts, I think there'd be very few of us tackling the job.

regards

Rowland