RE: Europa-List: to build or not to build

Subject: RE: Europa-List: to build or not to build
From: Chuck Popenoe <cpops@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 19:30:50

Tom- I think that you have received some good advice, but I'll throw in my
$.02 worth----my experience follows...

This thread really hits home for me!  Some wise one once said that you can't
build a Europa and expect to continue in your previous lifestyle,.  I began
A-036 back in '96 and started out with great enthusiasm.  I have since
recorded about 1000 hours effort, working almost entirely by myself, and I
may now be as much as 1/3 finished.  My problem is that I have far too many
interests, which always conflict with building!  I have built 3 tube &
fabric aircraft, all of which I still own and fly.  My last project, an Avid
Flyer, took me about 1200 hours to complete.   I also have my own business
to run, which takes a good bit of my time.  We also have a 38' cruising
ketch and a mountain vacation home. In my free time I always have the
difficult choice, do I want to go flying, sailing or up to the mountain or,
should I fill & sand on the Europa project.  Unfortunately, the choice is
always too easy--the Europa loses out.

I would love to have the finished Europa-- without doubt the finest handling
plane that I've ever flown.  However, I'm now pushing 72 and at my present
build rate, I could be pushing up daisys before getting to fly my baby.
I've just now made the terrible decision to give it up and to reluctantly
put my project up for sale.  This has been one of the most difficult
decisions of my life! It's hard to give up your dream, but buying a finished
one would make more sense for me at this time.  Anyone have a nice one with
trailer for sale?

Sadly,

Pops A-036
classic monowheel

All flying surfaces completed and fitted, wings not yet filled & sanded.
Upgrade to 1370 lb. MTOW completed. Undercarriage, baggage bay, tailwheel &
all controls finished.  Top not yet bonded on--a few items inside left to
finish.