Re: Europa-List: Rotax starting - 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax starting - 912S
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:03:04

Could well be related to heat; the inlet manifolds have been hot and cold
starting remains easy. However, fuel IS getting through because fuel vapour
can be seen "puffing" out of the exhaust pipe. If it's too much fuel, then
trying to dry out by cranking at full throttle doesn't help (and probably
wouldn't anyway with CD-type carbs.). Can't see why over hot fuel would be a
problem, so long as its still present as a vapour rather than as a 'gas'.
Maybe it has something to do with winter MOGAS; other forums have recorded
that these problems are eased by use of AVGAS. Also, inlet air is taken from
under the cowl, which would exacerbate a heat-related problem.

Duncan McF.