Europa-List: Painting and products cont.

Subject: Europa-List: Painting and products cont.
From: Erich Trombley <erichdtrombley@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:05:08

Fred and others,

Regarding the clear coat.  It too is manufactured by Acry-Glow and therefore
compatible
with their base coat. The sanding the base coat prior to the application
of the clear coat is permissible provided you do not sand any finer than 1,000
grit, due to possible loss of adhesion.  800 grit might be acceptable although
you run the risk of seeing sanding marks in the final finish.  To my knowledge
there has not been a problem using Acry-Glow base and clear coat as per
the manufacture.

Fred writes

  "I'd advise doing that only if paint mfr says it's OK.  One major paint mfr
says
clear over base within so many hours, else trouble.  I tried what you did
once, but the clear failed in about 5 years, just like the mfr said it might."

The Sherwin-Williams rep stated that if the clear coat is not applied within so
many hours you will need to sand the base coat prior to the application of the
clear.  This is just what I did with my project.

"I'd like to add that the paints you cited are available from the major mfr's as
automotive coatings, and I think it's a stretch to say one brand is superior
for our purposes nor has much changed, based on many I've used periodically
since
1960.  Also, I've tried to find product literature that says what's really
special about their "aerospace coatings."  Only luck so far is the military
cites problems with leading edge abrasion (from dust) on supersonic aircraft,
and the Space Shuttle gets hit with major UV."

Fred, I do not profess to be a painting expert as pointed out this is my first
painting exercise.  However, I can personally attest to the fact that at least
one automotive coating I saw on a Velocity was not chemically resistant to Avgas
and left a nasty permanent blue stain around the fuel caps where fuel had
come in contact with the paint.

Sherwin-Williams list the following benefits to their product:

Easy application and fast dry
Resistant to chipping and UV exposure
Long-lasting, high-gloss finish
Superior Skydrol and other hydraulic jet fluid resistance
Salt, chemical and solvent resistant
Available in High Solids and Conventional formulations
Unlimited color availability

I can also attest to the fact that the paint is extremely flexible, a desired
characteristic
since there is significant flexing in aircraft.  I also know that
many Jet manufactures use this product on their aircraft, which cost a fair
bit more than a Europa.

You can do as you wish, I simple stated the process and products I have used on
my bird, as have others, with the desired affect and longevity we all seek.

For those interested the PPG K36 and K201 can be purchased at most automotive
paint
houses.  The Acy-Glow base and clear in conventional formulation (not the
High Solids) along with the reducer and thinner was purchased from a
Sherwin-Williams
distributor:

Custom Chemical Engineering
Aerospace Coatings of Lincoln
4817 N. 56th St., #10
Lincoln, NE 68504
(888) 258-8619
(402) 466-8958 Fax
E-mail: paint4mike@aol.com

Ask for Mike.  Also if you have them ship it look into Fed Ex ground vs. Fed Ex
Trucking.  There is a big, big difference in the shipping cost as I have found
out the hard way, at least for small orders.  I had to order an extra gallon
of clear and the shipping exceeded the cost of the product.  For my initial
order
I picked it up directly from the distributor as I happened to be in the area.

What ever method and products you all chose to go with I wish you all the best.

Erich Trombley
N28ET Mono-Classic 914
Las Vegas, NV