Re: Europa-List: Rotax starting - 912S

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rotax starting - 912S
From: P.A.D.Clarke <paddyclarke@lineone.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 10:59:10

Hi Folks,
                A bit more on the sprag clutch. It seems to be a problem
particularly on the higher compression 912S, but I know of one higher hour
912 that's affected, so presumably all Rotax engines may eventually be
vulnerable. The symptoms have been well described in previous messages, but
can be positively diagnosed as the sprag clutch using a clamp meter. Rotax
SB-912-042 refers.
                A clamp meter can be bought ( in the U.K.) for approx. 90
pounds from Maplin, tho' I think this could well be a candidate for a tool
for the club to own and hire out. Note that it has to be able to measure
DC current.
                The other thing that is worth checking is the friction
torque in the gearbox - again SB-912-042 refers.
                 As David says, Adrian Lloyd at Shobdon did the fix for me,
and, as I have an XS with the greater clearance behind the engine, he
managed to do it with the engine in place. Whether this will be possible on
the classic I don't know. Adrian also fitted the high power starter motor
( amazing difference - amazing price! ) as he is convinced it will help to
stop the problem reoccurring. Again, I have heard that this may not be
possible on the classic due to the restricted space.
                It seems that once the problem starts it will only get
worse, and as the symptoms are so unpleasant, causing great concern as to
what is being done to the engine mounts, crankcase, prop, etc., delaying a
fix would appear unwise. I can't recommend Adrian highly enough.
            Cheers, Paddy Clarke