Re: Europa-List: XS Trigear rudder cable alignment

Subject: Re: Europa-List: XS Trigear rudder cable alignment
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 20:29:29

Hi John,
        I only used one set of turn buckles located at the bell crank of
grahams kit.  That was the turn buckles are supported by the bell crank.
The cables are supported at the end of the cockpit module and half way to
the tower and one on the tower.  This totals 3 supports from the pulley
to the bell crank.  Nothing touching the floor and each ferel alters the
cable direction just a bit. This keeps from making any drastic direction
changes that fairleads are not designed to make.  You will only make one
adjustment on the cable turn buckles from the pedals to the back.  Just
enough to keep the cables lightly snug.  After that all yo do is to keep
pulling the rudder pedals reaward and not tightning the cables at all.
Ta da----
        I like purple martins.  Yessss sirrrr reee. They keep the
skeeters to almos nothing.  I also was lucky to have a small family of
bats close by and they were great at keeping the skeeters to almost zero.
 Mother nature can relly help.
        Looking forward to coming.  It looks like three of us for sure
and maybe a fourth. Depending on the "doctor" in the sky in Oklahoma.
Three is good and four is better.  Weather is the main factor.  My guess
with out really checking it out is about 4 1/2 hours each way.  Nice
cross country.  See ya soon

Jim Nelson

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the info. I've experimented with a few different
> materials for
> fairleads, various kinds of tubing, phenolic, etc. Neville said to
> use the black
> brake line tubing that came with the kit. It would probably work,
> but the
> nylon ones that Spruce has seem to have the lowest friction by far.
> I'm putting a
> set in the rear bulkhead, at the tower on a plywood spreader, and in
> the
> tunnel where the rudder cable passes the gas tank. Sure don't want
> that rudder
> cable slapping the gas tank! I'm also putting turnbuckles just
> behind the baggage
> bay supports where they will be accessible from the access hole in
> the
> bulkhead. I might end up putting another set at the baggage bay
> supports if the
> turnbuckles want to slap the floor.
>
> Hope you can make our fly-in! The Purple Martins are in residence at
> our
> field along about that time. They make it very pleasant to be
> outdoors. (no
> skeeters)
>
> Regards,
>
> John Lawton
> Dunlap, TN
> A-245 (getting all the little tidbits done before the top goes on)

=

=

=

=