Re: Europa-List: Wing lateral push rod HELP!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing lateral push rod HELP!
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:35:31

>I have just completed my lateral push rod.
>A test fit indicates that the thing binds in many areas.  My observations are
>that I would have to substantially widen the wing rib holes and even then I
>expect the push rod to be directly against the spar with unacceptable or no
>clearance

Brian - I found the only one I've done so far (starboard) needed a
fair amount of fettling, but I didn't need to attack the spar at all.
However, I found I _did_ need to remove almost all of the rib flange
at one station, taking it back pretty much to the face of the spar.
The geometry will change subtly depending on how far the rod-ends are
screwed on, etc. It's a bit tedious putting it all together then
taking it all out again to file the holes, but that seems to be the
way to get satisfactory clearances.

If it's as close as you say, maybe you need to check back with the
factory. There are no spacers or similar between W11/W12 and the
spar, so you haven't left anything out there! If the tightness is at
the root end, then check again very carefully the assemblage of
everything in the W16 area.

Incidentally, referring back to your previous post, my manual says to
file the W16 relief curves _before_ rivetting on the bellcrank
bearing, so I assume you're now playing with the W16 that was already
shaped.

regards

Rowland