RE: Europa-List: Wing lateral push rod HELP!

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Wing lateral push rod HELP!
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 12:11:33

I had almost exactly the same experience, and my wings were among the first
XS wings shipped.  However, my push rods did clear the spars without any
modifications.  I had assumed that the factory would have figured out by now
that they put most of the holes in the wrong places.  Apparently not.  If it
were only a problem with clearance in the holes I'd simply open the holes (I
left a minimum of about 1/4 inch clearance), but in your case I'd recommend
getting the factory's opinion on clearing the spar.

Quite a while ago on this forum there was a thread about how far the wings
deflected under a load of several g, and (if I remember correctly) the
deflection could be as much as 18 inches at the tip and still be within
design limits.  That was probably for a far greater g load than most of us
will ever experience, however.  Even considerably lighter loads could
deflect the wing enough to cause the push rods to rub inside the clearance
holes, so it seems that the factory expects there to be some rubbing under
load.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070