Europa-List: Wing spar pins

Subject: Europa-List: Wing spar pins
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 13:36:53

I followed the recent thread and see one or two inferred assumptions that
MAY be incorrect [IMHO naturally!].
If I remember, the pip pin was chosen in order to bring the starboard spar
end snuggly up against the port one; (a) the cup isn't strong enough for
that and (b) the pip pin ears are on fixed 'reach' and  we added some
washers so that the ears (when released) bring up against the starboard bush
to achieve the snugness inferred.
The starboard plain pin (with the threads sawn off) doesn't need to pull the
spars forward against the back of the CM, and anyway it's too late to
determine the required reach of the ears.
I think one must establish that the replacement pip pin for the bolt one
does not remain "ears-in"as it might allow the pin to jiggle forward. Also
if the ears are against the tincup back, stresses on the spar will not make
the ears bend in the tin cup.
Does that make sense?
That clever devil Neville should revel in the proposed bevel.
Ferg