Re: Europa-List: Wing spar pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing spar pins
From: Andy Draper <andy@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 09:32:54

Dear All,

I will confess that I have only looked at a few of the postings about the spar
pins, but what I have seen indicates that the main question is about why there
is only one Pip pin type spar pin and why this one should be on the port side.
The reason is due to the layout of the spars.

During static load test, it was discovered that, at high loading, the tip end of
the starboard wing's spar began to slide aft off of the port pin.  The further
it moved the greater the bending force it applied to the pin, making it yet
easier for the spar to slide off it.  On the first test, the spar came off the
pin (at around the equivalent of about 7.5 'g' I should add) allowing the wing
to rotate and the spar tang to slice its way through the fuselage bottom.
It was clear that we needed to prevent the spar end to slide aft when under
load.

Initial thoughts went to bolts and nuts, but this would make rigging and
derigging
slow and labourious (we fitted this arrangement to the first XS, so we know
---From first hand).  The pip pin was tested and proved to work well.  The loads
on the pips meant that a hardened steel washer was required to prevent them
damaging the spar bush, hence its inclusion.  However, due to the high cost of
the pip pins and as it was only needed to secure the end of the starboard spar
(the spars overlap each other such that the port spar is sandwiched between
the seat back bulkhead and therefore has no possibility of moving) it was
decided
to stay with the tried and tested high strength bolt with its welded in Allen
key.

I hope that I have not missed the real thread of the discussion, but perhaps the
above will answer some questions anyway.

Best Regards
Andy Draper

Technical Director
e-mail   andy@europa-aircraft.com