Re: Europa-List: Wing Spar Pins

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing Spar Pins
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 19:57:12

In a message dated 2/8/2004 7:26:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
DuaneFamly@aol.com writes:

> Question - for those that are flying or are past the wing angle of
> incidence
> setup stage.... the two wing spar pins that hold the wings together to the
> CM......one is a nice smooth PIP pin while the other is a threaded bolt with

> an
> Allen wrench welded to it. Have people changed this threaded bolt to the PIP

> pin, or some other more suitable pin? I have set the wings in place twice
> now
> and while the PIP pin is still a little snug to get in, I can do it. While
> the
> other side snags on the threaded portion until my wife joggles the wings in
> order for it to get into place. Am I not seeing some use for the threaded
> bolt
> that comes later on?

Hi Mike,

I had the same problem with my pins, very snug fit until I set my incidence.
When you pull a string from wing tip to wing tip and properly align the wings
for the incidence and setting of the forward and aft drag pins the spar pins
will slide in with little or no effort. You might need to wiggle the wings a
bit, but this is common on $100K sailplanes too. Whatever you do don't ream the

bushes or file the pins!

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN