RE: Europa-List: thro the fire wall

Subject: RE: Europa-List: thro the fire wall
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 19:31:18

Paul:

What I did was take a healthy sized thickness of aluminum sheet (plate?)
about .090" thick. I cut a rectangular hole in the firewall large enough to
easily fit the connector through.  The aluminum was cut in a rectangle to
overlap the hole by a goodly amount. A  bolt pattern is drilled through the
aluminum and transferred to the firewall.  Now 2 feedthrough holes are
drilled in the aluminum plate. Since you already made a good sized hole in
the wall don't waste it by just making one feedthrough.  Size the holes to
whatever  size grommets  you have or how many wires you expect to feed
through. Now that you have your holes take a slitting saw and cut the plate
in half through both feed through holes. Put your connectors through. Clip
a slit in your grommet to get it around the wires, assemble the grommet
into the 2 halfs of the aluminum plate and bolt the mess to the firewall
with the -3 screws. The  small slit can be filled with high temp RTV. The
stiffness of the thicker aluminum makes this work nicely and doesn't look
bad either.

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ

<paul-d.stewart@virgin.net>

> This engine (914) is throwing up more questions then the whole of the
> project so far. Having disconnected the TCU and wastegate servo to mount
> them aft of  the firewall, the manual very succinctly tells me to make
> holes as small as possible and use a suitable method of sealing.
>
> I'm guessing that folk make holes to take the pressure sensors etc.
> rather than the large TCU block connector through the fire wall. What is
> a 'suitable method' of sealing - anyone got a pic or two. I suspect
> seeing this sort of thing would be a great help.
>
> Regards and thanks in anticipation
>
> Paul   #432
>

> <META content"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1226" nameGENERATOR>
> <STYLE></STYLE>
>

> This engine (914) is throwing up more
> questions
> then the whole of the project so far. Having disconnected the TCU and
> wastegate
> servo to mount them aft of the firewall, the manual very
> succinctly tells
> me to make holes as small as possible and use a suitable method of
> sealing.
>
> I'm guessing that folk make holes to
> take the
> pressure sensors etc. rather than the large TCU block connector through
> the fire
> wall. What is a 'suitable method' of sealing - anyone got a pic or two.
> suspect seeing this sort of thing would be a great help.
>
> Regards and thanks in
> anticipation
>
> Paul

--- Steve Hagar