Re: Europa-List: Batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Batteries
From: Neville Eyre <Neville@europaaircraft.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 16:18:27

Hi All,
All the people involved with electricity over the years have got it
wrong....Faraday...
Ohm... Voltair...Watt  etc have got it wrong.
Electricity is purely high pressure smoke....batteries come filled with the high
pressure smoke, and whatever is connected to it will function.....
If the smoke is allowed to escape from the wires....... they stop working...a
fact
that cannot be argued with?

>>> <DJA727@aol.com> 06/22/03 06:19pm >>>

In a message dated 6/22/2003 9:58:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fillinger@ameritech.net writes:

> My only question is if the alternator or regulator fails, AND there's
> the smell of smoke and abnormal readings on amps/volts, one should
> disconnect the battery at the battery relay, not just disconnect the
> alternator and wait to see if the smoke goes away.  What then will cause
> the engine to continue to run?  If one doesn't have a relay, and the
> smoke is electrical but no circuit protector pops, there's no way to
> stop the smoke without waiting for the battery to discharge or a
> necessary circuit to go open through heating.  Then the engine quits.

Fred,

I have designed mine with a rather complicated arrangement of busses, and I
have my pumps on a "hot" bus for each of two electrical systems. In the event
of electrical smoke/fire -- the procedure is to shut down the electrical
system, except for the fuel pumps. The hot busses are protected by slow blow
fuses.

I would be able to get rid of everything except the pumps in the event of an
electrical fire, and not lose the engine at the same time. I suppose I got
carried away with all this, but I have to keep my mind working on an involved
electrical system reminiscent of the Boeing days.

Dave