Re: Europa-List: Batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Batteries
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:26:18

In a message dated 6/24/2003 8:07:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
fillinger@ameritech.net writes:

> The reliability of recombinant gas batteries not
> approved by FAA is so far anecdotal.

We noticed the RG batteries do not hold up well if your A/C is operated off a
rough field. They don't take being bumped around very well. We found this out
the hard way in our Pawnee tow plane after helping out a neighboring glider
club with a contest. Their runway is pretty rough (so rough I won't go back)
and it wound up shorting out a cell in the Pawnee's RG battery, causing it to
fail. If you operate off a rough field you might want to consider a sealed
battery in lieu of an RG battery.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN