Re: Europa-List: Batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Batteries
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josok@ukolo.fi>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 22:36:18

Your assumption of 1 failure of alternator or regulater to be 1 on 1000
hours can't be realistic.
Back to cars, in the 40 years i have been driving, 3.500.000 km, about
500.000 hours, i never had an alternator, regulator nor battery failure.
Maybe i've been lucky, but still, car alternators are pretty reliable.
I can think of only one reason why airplane alternators would be less
reliable and that is lightning, or better the electromagnetic pulse from
it, in a non shielded, non metal airplane.
Back to odds:
In calculation the odds of failure one important view is usually
neglected. Every component, every wire, and every contact between them
has a failure rate. By adding components for safety you will obviously
end up with more components. At first sight adding a completely
independent system will only double the failure rate of the total.
But there will be extra components, to make switching between the
systems possible, inherently adding failing components. The result is
that the total system, the aircraft will be more error prone.
Really, simple is beautiful!
In case of bad pulse from lighning every semiconductor in the plane
could be destroyed. You don't even need a direct hit for that! So if, in
a sophisticated double system bus isolation or relay protection is by
diodes, we will have a complete failure. The best suggestion i saw was a
set of alkaline batteries to switch to. Mechanical :-)

Jos Okhuijsen