Re: Europa-List: Batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Batteries
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:09:20

----- Original Message -----
From: "david joyce" <davidjoyce@beeb.net>

| Ferg, I have my single 16 amp hour gas recombinant Odyssey/ Hawker
Siddeley battery mounted on the shelf above passenger feet ahead of the fire
wall. It sits in a fabricated shallow fibreglass tray tied to firewall by a
nylon strap . The multistrand copper #4 leads to the 914 starter and engine
ground are very short and that combination spins the 914 to first time start
very convincingly in any weather. I was and still am very keen on having the
battery forward for efficiency and ease of access, and it has worked
flawlessly x 120 hrs. I am not one bit convinced of the need for a spare
battery. The plane carries on flying without a blink if you switch off
master and alternator switches! A spare hand held GPS seems a better bit of
back up kit. My weight and balance came out alright with this arrangement +
the Kremen C/S prop, although Cof G was more forward than ideal (58.5 ins),
and I ended up putting 3 lbs of lead on the sternpost to get it to what I
felt was ideal position of 59.00 ins. There would be room for two similar
batteries in that position and Bob Harrison has that arrangement with his
Jabiru engine.
          Europa give suggested lay outs for fuel lines, and my out and
| return fuel lines fit nicely along the top R side of the tunnel ( mono,
XS).
| The considerable bundle of engine sensor lines run through a single1in.
hole in the firewall to the R of centre to meet upwith the back of my
Flydat, but I don't think there is anything critical about that. Best of
luck, David

David,
            Thank you for your advice on the CoG and siting themes. I am
probably hyperventillating on the topic and appreciate your steadying
approach. In view of intention to add some ham radio items aft, this seems a
sober alternative. I will poll Europa regarding runs and sites as well
perhaps since I won't have FlyDat but plan a solidstate instrument bundle
and a few other devices.
            I just made a short visit to UK, bundling old friends of
Ma-in-law (newly ensconced in a nursing home in Wilts) up and back to Devon
on the A303, so am now claiming champ familiartity with that artery....! I
managed to capture Nigel Charles between flights as was bunked in at
Woodborough but our paths were just abit impossible, so will try the west
country another time. Can't amke it for Kemble this time, but will be at
Oshkosh ate the Europa tent I hope.
            Kindest regards to you both in that idyllic spot, and thanks
again for the thoughts.
Ferg