Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem
From: KandShill@aol.com
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 15:02:00

Hi Dave,

Sorry it took me so long to reply.

Here is an electronics troubleshooting test procedure which will switch every
electrical
component and help you isolate the failed or degraded component. It
will take about 3 hours to complete.

1. Service the ground wires (clean, service with dielectric grease and
reattach).
Be sure to tie leads together so they don't vibrate and break)

2. (a)Switch the red charge leads. Does the problem move?
   (b)Do trigger check

3. (a) Change plugs  (b) Pull off plug wires and check for resistance  (c) check
secondary circuit.

4. Take off A & B modules and reverse them.

Just for info, the most common electrical problem with the Rotax is
contamination
of the grounds, second most common is spark plug boot failure, and the third
most frequent is the A/B module failure.
P.S. when you unscrew the plug boots snip a little bit off the en of spark plug
wire before you reattacth (finger tight only)

Dave if I can be of any further assistance please call me.

Ken Hill
925-484-0975

Hello group,

I long for a good old reliable Lycoming engine! My 914 is now failing the mag
check and everything I try has actually made it worse. I have consulted with
Rotax and they have suggested several things - cleaning up the connections at
the plug wires, swapping plugs too to bottom to see if the situation reverses
(indicating a plug problem), changing the plugs to new.

The problem is I get a mag drop of 300 on circuit B and now 500 on circuit A.
At this point, with cleaned up wires, new plugs - it runs rough on  mags A
and B one at a time, with the large drop coming on A still. I now cannot fly -
think it is even running rough with both mags on.

The latest suggestion is to check and clean up the ignition ground bolt by
the electronic boxes. Then, it is to again check the carb synch - THEN they need

to "see the engine", which can be a big problem where I live, since I won't
fly it until I figure out what is wrong.

One other thing I can say is I don't think I ever had a very good mag drop
since new. It was less than the limit of 300, but not by much compared to what

most people are telling me.

Any suggestions out there besides replacing the engine with one that a
control freak like me can adjust!

Dave
A227
Mini U2 (grounded)