Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 21:56:54

Hello DJA727

> > Did you check timing?
> >

> The timing is a fixed deal with pickups on the flywheel - no adjusting
> possible......

I have a few early 1990 Volvo turbos. They use a speed sensor that senses
magnets
on the flywheel. Had over the years on 2 different cars the sensors go flakey.
would call Lockwood Aviation ask for Phil in Florida. he seems to know the 914
in
and out. I think i have heard that if debris gets on the sensor or pick up it
can
cause flakeyness. If easy pull sensors and inspect, inspect the flywheel for
debriis. If easy swap A and B sensors and see if trouble follows.

> > Could it be a carburation problem? I have a BMW R-100GS that uses Bing
> > constant
> > velocity carbs, and carb snot is a problem. For Hahas, try a mag check with
> > the
> > enriching circuit in rich mode and see if it makes a differance.
> >

> ##### I checked the balance of the carbs -- they needed balancing. I thought
> I had solved the problem. The run up is even worse with almost complete
> cutting out on the A mag.

I am not talking about carburator balance. I am talking about varnish from MoGas
plugging up passages and jets. On the R-100GS it is worst on the enriching
circuit, but saw signs in the main jet as well. General don't run high power
settings for long.

Did you try a mag check with the Enriching circuit on rich? (The Bings on BMW
don't use a choke, i am pretty sure the 914 uses the same enriching arrangement)

> #### Seems to be worse when cold. When I first started today, O thought is
> was extremely smooth -- the a lousy mag check again.
>
> Don't know ignition circuit. Is there a capacitor for RF noise somewhere in
> the
> circuit? If Easy perhaps you can switch the switch wires, to let A run B and
> vise versa. i don't know if ignition grounds? anyway eliminate the switch if
> you can.

If you did not replace the ignition wires see if you can swap A and B? Better
yet
can you easily wire A input to B coil and vise versa?

Let us know how you make out
ron Parigoris