Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 15:08:10

Hello Dave

I must admit i never worked on a 914, but am Ok with motors.

A few questions:

How many hours on motor?

You running MoGas or 100LL?

Do you have a EGT, and is it running hot?

Is turbo working OK?

Did you check timing?

Could it be a carburation problem? I have a BMW R-100GS that uses Bing constant
velocity carbs, and carb snot is a problem. For Hahas, try a mag check with the
enriching circuit in rich mode and see if it makes a differance.

Is drop worst when motor is hot compared to cold?

Please don't take insult, did you try new plugs, that are at the proper gap and
are
of the correct heat range, and are properly torqued down?

Again i am not an expert. For my own knowledge, i would try having 1 mag run on
4
cylinders and the other run on 3 cylinders to see what a dead cylinder does to
the
drop. I would not run it with out grounding the dead cylinder wire. On some
ignitions you can damage without grounding.

Good luck
Ron Parigoris