Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 914 mag check problem
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:27:44

In a message dated 6/5/2003 12:11:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk writes:

> This sounds a little strange. When the mag drop is excessive you would
> expect to find a cylinder with low rather than high EGT. I fitted 4 EGT
> senders so that I could identify the rogue cylinder in the event of a failed
> mag drop check. The only thing I can think of is that the rise indicates
> that those cylinders are OK and working harder to overcome poor ignition in
> one or both the other cylinders.

####The way I understand it is the single ignition causes a single flame
front, which delays the peak temperature and shortens the cooling time in the
cylinder, thus ejecting hotter gas into the exhaust. That is a normal thing for

Lycoming and continentals. I see about a 70 degree rise in my IK2000 on the twin

Comanche. All the cylinders rise in the Rotax, but two plugs rise about 150
degrees. I called Rotax again this morning and am going to check the resistance

of the plug wires and caps..........

> Is the mag drop as bad when the engine is not fully warmed up and without
> the top cowl on? If so I would suggest that it is unlikely to be caused by
> overheated electronics..

#######It seems worse when the engine is warmed up, but the cowl is off and
it still is bad when the engine is cool.......

> Your problem doesn't sound a typical Rotax problem. As for Lycomings, in
> the
> past I have known of two cases which had difficult to solve mag drop
> problems so they are not exempt.

########Grass is always greener, eh? I am sure I will be calmed down once I
solve this problem. After all, it did run fine for 65 hours!

Thanks,

Dave