Re: Bringing home Stage 2 and 3 Europa Motorglider from Florida

Subject: Re: Bringing home Stage 2 and 3 Europa Motorglider from Florida
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2003 22:24:49
Hi Gary, I did just that last week!

Pics are attached.
I had 2 set of glider wings in addition to the short wings.

Tips-

-if using U-haul, make shure you don't get a clapped-out 'local' truck.
I did (200,000 miles on it) and ended up broke-down and stranded in the
NY hills on the middle of Hwy 88 on a lonely cold night. It took them 3
hours to get a darn tow truck there, and then 2 days and a second tow
truck to get me on my way again.  If you are traveling into the cold,
bring some candles to keep the Cab warm in an emergency, and save your
epoxy hardener from freezing.

-lots packing blankets to cushion the parts in the truck. I used 3 dozen
with a few xtra. Ropes of course.

-I put the glider wing outboard boxes (I had two) up high over the cab
using a 2x4 x-member to keep them flat as suggested by the factory. I'm
not sure why they should be flat tho.

- for the glider wings, I made a couple of saw-horses (copying what John
in Lakeland had for storing the wings), to support the wings by the
spars.

-I chose the air-ride suspension 26' u-haul. A very smooth ride for the
light load.

-Bring ear protection... My lightspeed headsets kept me sane for the 30
hour 1750 mile road trip (not including the breakdown mentioned above).

Best of luck for your journey!

Cheers,
Pete
A239 Ottawa, Canada