Re: OAT gauge sensor

Subject: Re: OAT gauge sensor
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 14:26:41
"David.Corbett" wrote:

> Does anyone have a view about the most appropriate location for an OAT gauge
sensor?>> There is a need to avoid - engine bay heat; exhaust heat; and wind
chill.>>
Many thanks, and a Happy New Year with lots of good flying to you all.>>
David,>> G-BZAM,  UK 265David,I am installing my OAT in the Cold air plenum
chamber for the Carbs. I centered my NACA
flush inlet on the top cowling and have placed the OAT on the starboard wall of
the
chamber itself away from most of the ram effect of the NACA inlet. Not flying
yet
so can not tell you how accurate it is. Cheers,Tim

Hi David,

I have an OAT sensor supplied by Grand Rapids Technology for my Engine
Information System (EIS) display. It is about 0.250" dia x 1.250" long.
Initially I installed mine in the carb intake plenum as suggested by Tim
Ward in the reply above. However, I did not have good experience with
this location and have now changed it. Two problems were apparent.
Firstly, after shut down, heat soak from the engine bay would provide
erroneously high readings and secondly when flying, I always showed
higher readings compared to poking a dial gauge probe out of the cockpit
NACA vent. Am not sure why that was but it was always high by 5-10 deg C
as I recollect, despite the fact that I do have quite good a good seal
where my plenum intake fits to the top cowling.

I have now secured the probe with a small nylon P-clamp to the lower
front face of the cooler intake duct, i.e. if you bend down and look
into the intake behind the prop, it is the first thing you see. It is
about 1" to the rear from the front edge. The signal lead is taken
through a grommet back to the panel. Again, there can be a small amount
of heat soak after a shut down but this is minimal and the probe is
immediately cooled when the engine is started.

Cheers, John
N262WF, XS mono, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina