Re: Gross weight

Subject: Re: Gross weight
From: Jim Brown <acrojim@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 09:31:45
Hi Dave.

The weights of the XS series of Europas seem to be coming in around 850-900 lbs.
Mine came in at 888 .lbs. I think Europa is still using the weights of the
Classic series with minimum equipment and panels in their advertising.

In your comments about being at max. gross weight with two people, let me say
this!   In the year 2000 we flew from Florida to Arlington Wa. along side the
company a/c N914EA. My a/c was at 1440 lbs. and I'm sure N914EA was in the same
range when you looked at how loaded the baggage compartment was on both a/c. The
aircraft flew fine at this increased weight with out any problems.  When we
arrived in the "Rockies" we saw that the 914 engine was up to the task at hand
and the increased density altitudes were not a factor in the take off  even at
the 1440 gross weight. The one thing we learned, was that, do not retract the
gear until we had a couple hundred feet of altitude. In doing so, when the flaps
retracted, we lost some of the lift in the thin air, and the plane would lose a
little altitude before regaining a positive rate of climb.

To all of you,,, Who are reading this, pleeease do not take this as an
endorsement to overload your aircraft. Most of our cross country flight was at
altitudes of 13.000 to 17.500. We did not have a lot of turbulence at these
altitudes and we were comfortable with our flight profiles that we were not over
stressing the aircraft.

Jim Brown
N398JB