Re: Gross weight

Subject: Re: Gross weight
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 23:19:49
I remember writing the factory on the MG gross weight issue.   If I remember
correctly,
the XS weight increase required enlarged drag pins as well as the
carrythrough bar.  Another 50 lbs
increase for the MG wings would have required another round of
reinforcements and testing.
Further, additional MTOW was not considered necessary since the expected use
of the MG was
for recreation with typically just the pilot on board and partially full
tanks, not touring, so the loss in - primarily - luggage
capacity was not critical.  The factory may not have forseen the excellent
high altitude performance of the
914 MG that makes it much more versatile that originally thought, enough to
make the MG the primary or sole
wing configuration, rather than a sometimes option to a primarily short wing
aircraft.

Also, it's turned out that US builders equip their planes more fully than
the early UK
builders - with bigger engines and the tri-gear configuration being very
common (and how many US
pilots conform to the FAA 170lb standard?).  It's possible that a 914
trigear MG could hit 950lbs empty,
enforcing the 1 pilot + partial tanks assumption.

Those Europas that have come near to the 750lb factory suggested empty
weight have been very simply
fitted out.

Shaun