Re: Gross weight

Subject: Re: Gross weight
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 14:15:35
Hi Dave,
        Mine came in at 890# with the electric prop (NSI) on it.  Yes, it
seems that when you do your weight and balance, the cg is right where it
is suppose to be.  I did both scenarios with 1 pilot and full fuel and 1
pilot and minimum fuel.  Then did it again with a pax.  and full fuel (a
must).  Baggage becomes an optional item ??????    I've been told that if
you fly it in the normal configuration (no aerobatics and high "G"
maneuvers) you can put more in the back (baggage) and toddle on your way.
 Just be careful.  I'm also told that in Canada some of the builders have
stated the gross weight to be 1400 plus and went on from there.  I owned
a Cessna 195  (1950  5 place tail dragger with a 300 hp Jacobson radial
engine up front).  It grossed at 3350#.  However, my annual inspector
(who by the way had signed it off at the factory) said that the lovely
bird would fly just fine with what ever you could stuff inside.  Had  a
nice sized baggage compartment. So take it for what its worth.  I'm quite
confident that on long cross countrys, I'll put in what I need
(conservatively) and fly on.

Jim