Re: Gross weight

Subject: Re: Gross weight
From: DJA727@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 01:12:08
In a message dated 12/21/2002 5:48:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
peterz@zutrasoft.com writes:

> Wouldn't the force you describe decrease Vne &Va? I don't think it
> would impact gross weight?
>
> Does anyone know what the Vne's &Va's are for each configuration?
>
> I'm still curious why the gross couldn't be increased by the additional
> weight of the long wings.... I assume they are heavier(?).

They are heavier - the Vne and Va are quite a bit lower for the long wings -
127 knots Vne vs 165 for the short wings. That is one of the reasons I chose
the turbo, since to fly a respectable cross country speed, you need to fly at
high altitude because of the Vne restriction. If you can indicate 120 knots
at 17,000 feet, that translates to a healthy true airspeed. John Hurst saw
174 mph true at 16,500 on his long cross country. cruising at lower altitudes
makes the airplane slower, even if it has the power to indicate a higher
airspeed.

I am not sure of the reasons for the lower speeds, but may be the drag loads
on the spars from the long wings.

Dave
A227
mini U2