Re: Going through the stainless portions of the firewall

Subject: Re: Going through the stainless portions of the firewall
From: clevelee@cswebmail.com
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:29:15
Rob & Bob,
Thanks for your replies.  Very helpful.  For all others - if you haven't visited
Tony's web site, www.kaon.co.nz/europa/index.html ,suggest doing so.
Been there before, but somehow this time the detail and organization and
pictures just struck me as being really well done.

Cleve

> Aircraft Spruce offers some hardware for this; see their P/Ns 05-16250,
> 05-16252 and 05-16253.  I used their Cable Safe II which is a split
> fitting that allows it to be used with the choke and throttle cable
> assemblies for the 914.  Unfortunately the Adapter P/N 05-16251
that makes
> it possible to use with 3/16 inch diameter cables is NOT split so I had to
> use that handy Dremel to cut the adapters in half (longitudinally).
>
> These fittings are aluminum but much better than rubber grommets for a
> firewall pass through.
>
> When I sought factory assistance, Neville suggested that instead of
> penetrating the SS firewall I should route the cables over the landing
> gear/engine mount frame and then use lots of RTV to seal the gap.  Since I
> would have had to remove so much of the phenolic (or whatever it is)
> firewall to make this work I decided to use the aluminum Cable Safe method
> instead.
>
> The @#$%
* SS firewall is one of those problem areas where it seems that
> everything interferes with everything else.  I strongly recommend you check
> out Tony Krzyzewski's web site at <a
href="http://mail.cswebmail.com//jump/http://www.kaon.co.nz/europa/index.html";>http://www.kaon.co.nz/europa/index.html
 so
> you can benefit from his experience.  I have found that just about every
> factory induced problem (and not just with the @#$%
* SS firewall) that I

href="http://mail.cswebmail.com//jump/http://www.compuserve.com/trycsrv/cs2000/webmail";>http://www.compuserve.com/trycsrv/cs2000/webmail/

href="http://mail.cswebmail.com//jump/http://www.europaclub.org.uk&gt";>http://www.europaclub.org.uk