Bad landings

Subject: Bad landings
From: Kevin Taylor <kevintaylor@space35.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:18:30
Folks,

Ive had my Europa (trigear) 3 weeks now and have done about 20 odd hours. I
had a fly tonight and made a cock up on my approach. Up to today I have
nailed my speed to 70knots on finals which has worked well and I have always
had a nice flair.

However tonight I  did a tight circuit, base and final and didn't get my
speed back as I should so I was 80 knots on finals. I was surprised at just
how twitchy it was when I tried to flair too but was too fast and the
immediate over correction on my part! After the first bounce I over
controlled it and had a second bigger bounce at that point I decided to
power and go round which was fine.
Second landing speed nailed and a much nicer landing.

I learned 2 important lessons.

1 To nail my approach speed and not to try and rush the circuit.
2. I felt there was a real danger of a PIO as the controls are so effective.

Although I have to say I don't normally have a problem slowing it down as I
guess to other Europas its a bit dragy with trigear and no speed kit. It
does also have a forward CofG due to the weight of the Subaru engine, not
sure if that is relevant

No harm done only damage to my pride as after I landed I was told that one
of the regulars had apparently told a tyro to watch my landing and learn (as
I normally get em right but not tonight)

Obviously landing too fast isn't a good idea is this a well know
characteristic on this type. I know it was on the Grumman I used to fly.

Any experiences gratefully shared

Regards

Kev T