Re: Aluminium fuel lines

Subject: Re: Aluminium fuel lines
From: McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:37:19
I'd hoped you wouldn't ask that!

During my research for data on the reliability of EFI systems a few years
ago I came across a site that summarised the published failings of a number
of manufacturers. The source of the info. was a number of global bodies,
rather than just one agency. Fuel leaks were the clear winner in the
assessment. I can't remember that it was based on recalls; it would be hard
to believe that manufacturers would be so forthcoming otherwise.

By way of example, all my DIN-marked automotive fuel hose originally
installed on the Europa got wiped out by one tankful of winter Mogas; which
I hadn't checked for alcohol as I wasn't going to be flying with it. But it
serves to demonstrate that these things can happen easily.

Duncan McFadyean