Re: Transponder Aerial Location

Subject: Re: Transponder Aerial Location
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 19:03:31
> My transponder manual says the antenna should be at least 5 feet from any
> organic
material (the crew!)

> Dave A227

That sounds like each lawyer who reviewed the install manual added one
foot to the calculated distance.  There's a calculator and links to
detailed discussion of health effects at
http://n5xu.ae.utexas.edu/rfsafety/

If above is accurate, my fiddling with it shows a transponder antenna
even inches away from you will not be a problem even at 100
replies/second.  The replies are only 21 microseconds long - when your
reply lite blinks, and 50% duty cycle for each burst only if your
squawking 7777 at 84,000 feet.  Health effects are proportional to
time of exposure, average power and frequency.  A max effective 10us
burst every few seconds for busy airspace, even at peak of 250 watts,
for the sporadic hours we fly appears less than insignificant.

Best,
Fred F.